Chad – SOS Medical and Social Centres
In Chad there is currently one Social Centre and one Medical Centre for children and the local community, in N’Djamena. Many SOS Social Centres operate via Family Strengthening Programmes, which aim to support the wider community. Medical Centres provide treatment and services for the local community. Below is some information about the Medical Centre that SOS Children runs in Chad:
SOS Medical Centre in Chad: In-Depth
Work and Achievements:
The SOS medical centre remains a reference for sick people in the neighbouring communities. Thanks to its high care standard and accessible cost, many people keep coming.
From January to December 2009, the following section had effectively functioned: General consultation, paediatrics consultation, prenatal consultation, small surgery, treatment, medical parameters evaluation, medical tests and pharmacy.
Paediatrics consultations are performed by the Doctors and the Doctor assistant deals with general consultation whereas the midwife is in charge of prenatal consultation. The health technician (ATS) takes care of treatment and small surgery. The secretary deals with reception and is also the cashier.
The lab technician performs medical tests every day. The nurse runs the drugstore. The secretary and the manager deal with administration and finance. The management of pharmaceutical products is insured by the Manager. The lab technician runs the analytical laboratory and the secretary takes care of the office supply. The cleaner takes care of cleaning products. The staff participates in rotation of permanence all Saturdays and on holidays. The center opens from Monday to Thursday from 7:30 AM to 2:00 PM and Friday to Saturday from 7:30 AM to 12:00 PM.
Consultation , treatments, laboratory, social assistance and pharmacy have functioned to ensure SOS children, SOS staff, SOS staff family, FSP beneficiaries and public’s health – Only vaccinations were not functional in 2009
In 2009, 8035 sick people benefited from the centre’s service whereas in 2008, we numbered 7822 patients.
SOS Social Centre in Chad: In-Depth
Work and Achievements:
Activities achieved in the year:
- sensitizations on the following topics: children academic follow up, health and personnel hygiene, diarrhoea and its prevention, psychosocial support to persons in difficult situations, children rights, culinary skills: preparation of mayonnaise, community solidarity, vaccination and its importance in the children’s life.
- Health care: 500 consultations and 520 prescriptions were covered, 300 children were vaccinated against tetanus treatments and follow up of people who are chronically ill.
- Education and professional training: 581 children receive schooling support, 7 children were regularly registered in job training schools and remedial classes have been organized.
- Food: 191 families have received food packages in four (4) distribution sessions, some malnutrition pockets were supported with milk and specific food.
- Psychosocial support: 14 volunteers have supported all families with specific psychosocial counselling.
- Support to persons with specific needs: 100 families were given material and financial support to face their needs.
-Community support: Two (2) associations were created and functions officially with the support of the program in order to insure its continuance.